Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Over the weekend, I introduced Olivia to one of my favorite movies growing up. . .The Mouse and The Motorcycle.  The entire movie is on Youtube.   Beverly Cleary was one of my very favorite authors growing up.  Olivia watched it about 5 times in one day. . .she absolutely LOVED it!  She also has a little miniature mouse that looks just like Ralph, so that was really neat for her too.  Then, today we went to get our hair cut and at the salon, there was a hole in the side of the reception desk.  Olivia was SURE that there was a mouse in there (and a bit disappointed when there wasn’t.) LOL! 

photo (41)

Speaking of mice. . .well, sort of. . .we saw a commercial on PBS for an interactive learning website called www.abcmouse.com.  Olivia really wanted to check it out, so this afternoon we did just that.  I was a little disappointed that it has a monthly subscription, but we got the first month free so I thought we’d try it out.  I have a really hard time getting Olivia excited about learning things at home.  Some days it’s as if she is not receptive at all.  Well, she adores this website!  It’s like an interactive classroom with lessons that include books, songs, puzzles, games, art and printables.  You can also take a trip to the zoo or the farm and check out books from the library.  It is for age 2 through kindergarten and really concentrates on getting a child ready for kindergarten.  For each lesson completed, you get tickets and Olivia shouts out loud when she gets tickets because she’s saving up to buy a pet at the online pet store.  You have an entire shopping center to buy things from and you add them to your online room.  We just started this today, but I am initially very impressed and Olivia can’t wait to learn more!  I’m hoping that her interest doesn’t fade and I’m working on ways to keep it very exciting for her!  So far, I think it’s something that you should definitely check out!

No comments: