Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Diabetes Post

As you know, I have gestational diabetes because I also had diabetes before pregnancy.  We are actually wondering if I don’t  have diabetes type 1.5 (LADA or adult onset type 1 autoimmune diabetes) but, that will be a post for another day.  I started on insulin this past week and I just thought I’d do a post about it for others who are nervous about starting insulin.  I know I was.  It’s really not that bad. . more inconvenient than anything.  The frustrating thing is that my current dosing hasn’t done much to reduce my blood sugars so I’m sure they will bump me up again on Monday.  Here is what a typical day is like.

Wake up, take blood sugar.  My fasting blood sugars are always in the normal range, which is good. 

I eat breakfast.  I eat the same thing every morning for breakfast.  It took me months to find something that I liked that didn’t raise my blood sugars: Special K Protein Plus cereal with walnuts and unsweetened almond milk.  I cannot deviate from this.  I check my blood sugar 2 hours later.  The frustrating thing is. . this morning my blood sugar was 50 points higher than normal after eating the exact same thing.  That is what makes this whole thing so difficult.  Currently, I don’t do an insulin shot with breakfast.

I eat lunch.  I have to really watch my carbohydrates and always have to pair it with protein.  This is really really hard for me because I love bread.  It’s like telling someone to give up their most absolute favorite food in the world.  Ten minutes before I eat, I give myself an insulin shot.  I have an insulin pen and basically just dial the dosage, stick it in and push the button.  Really simply and pretty painless.  Two hours later, I take my blood sugar again.

I eat plenty of snacks throughout the day because 1) I’m always starving and 2) I have to eat every 3 hours.  I have these Natures Valley protein bars that I love. I also snack on popcorn, cheese and crackers, apples and cottage cheese with pineapple (I hate cottage cheese, but paired with pineapple it’s delicious! Weird huh?)

I eat dinner.  Ten minutes before I eat, I give myself an insulin shot and check my blood sugar 2 hours later.  I’m currently on fast acting insulin, but I may have to switch to long-lasting depending upon my blood sugars. . .which aren’t too good right now.  I’m truly grateful that insulin exists, however, to help people who need it.  And, they’ve made it as convenient as possible.  It’s interesting how my concerns have switched from having an extremely premature baby to keeping my blood sugars under control in order to have a healthy baby.  I’m always asked what I did in my first pregnancy to control my diabetes and well, of course I didn’t get that far.  Nor did I even know it was a problem back then.  I’m not a huge fan of needles and besides my weekly progesterone shot, I now get to poke myself an additional 6 times per day.  But, I remember how many times Olivia got poked in the NICU and all that she endured.  I would have GLADLY taken that on myself.  And Abigail is still tucked safely inside and I couldn’t be more thrilled about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are adjusting to your insulin well! I had a really hard time with it. I remember crying when they told me I would need insulin. I am not really good with needles. :) Afte I had Evan I remember sneaking a Coke and when they checked my blood sugar it was SOOOOOOOOOOO high. They came in and said I would need some insulin. I said ok and I will just do it. OMG......they didn't have the extra fine needles that I was used to and I almost jumped out of the bed.I guess the moral of the story is not to sneak naughty foods in the hospital!

Brandi W.

Jodi said...

Brandi, it is hard. I haven't had a Pepsi in over 3 years. :(. I love unsweetened tea, though, so that helps. The other day I accidentally grabbed Ryan's Pepsi instead of my tea, though, and it was soooo good.

Jodi said...

Brandi, it is hard. I haven't had a Pepsi in over 3 years. :(. I love unsweetened tea, though, so that helps. The other day I accidentally grabbed Ryan's Pepsi instead of my tea, though, and it was soooo good.