Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday, October 18, 2007 - Update

Olivia is doing great today. I am always so very proud of her. Her vent settings were weaned down to 18/5 with a rate of 16 and her oxygen requirements remain really low. She was on 22% last night and was satting very nicely at 92%. She also is making her first little noises. . .kind of a cooing/crying. But, she seems fairly happy when she makes the noises. Ryan and I have been taking turns holding her each night for a week now and she does extremely well. We put up curtains around her isolette while we hold her and spend time together as a family. We read our stories, sing our songs and just talk about our future together. Ryan and I can hardly remember what we did in the evenings before we had Logan and Olivia. I am constantly in awe of my husband. He wakes up around 6:30 a.m., works all day and then spends all evening at the hospital. I can’t even imagine working right now on top of everything else that we’re dealing with.

Next week Olivia has her first eye exam to begin testing for ROP (retinopathy of prematurity.) It is an abnormal growth of the blood vessels in a premature infant’s eye. The smallest and youngest of premature babies are the most at risk. I have included a link that explains it in greater detail. We ask that you be in prayer for Olivia as this is another big hurdle.

http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/rop/index.asp

Interesting tidbit: The cause of Stevie Wonder’s blindness is due to ROP. He was a premature infant and back when he was born, they did not have the medical knowledge and technology to help treat it. Please continue to surround my little girl with your love and prayers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep letting your light shine! God continues to hear your cries for help and continues to answer your prayers. We love to see the pictures and can't wait to see this princess in person. Please know that we continue to lift all three of you regularly up in prayer. Also, please let us know if there is anything physical (yard, house, food, laundry, ...) we can do. Take care - Omli's

Anonymous said...

We are so happy that Olivia is doing well now. We sincerely hope we will get to see her on Sunday. The last time we didn't see her for two weeks, she grew soooooo much it was like looking at a different baby. She makes us so happy!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read everyday about how Olivia is doing, and how you and Ryan are becomming such wonderful parents. We love to see the pictures, as in Colorado it will be a while before we can see her in person. She is a precious little girl and we love her too. Please know that we love you all and enjoy reading your blog. I know your car will know the route to the hospital! Have you programed it to get you there Ryan?

Hugs and prayers. MJ

The Hull Munchkins said...

Olivia is absolutely beautiful! I just met her after seeing your post on preemieblogmom's forum. I am also mom to a 23 wkr, who is now 4 yrs old. I'm glad you are blogging, it helps keep track of every thing happening while Olivia is in the NICU! You'll be so glad later.
I'm so sorry about Logan's passing. I'm sure it is more difficult than anyone knows. My heart goes out to your family. I will be checking back on Olivia's progress and cheering her on!
Patty