Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Peonies

Now, I'll admit. . .I am no gardener. I don't like to get my hands dirty, I don't like to pull weeds, I don't like the creepy crawly things I find when I do. I don't know the names of most flowers or whether to plant them in the partial or full sun. But, I love to watch my flowers bloom. I love how they start with just a seed and grow into something so beautiful. I love how one day there are only buds and the next. . .beautiful flowers. I love my peonies. They only bloom for but a few days a year, but I love them when they do. And this picture was taken on Sunday. You should see the blooms today!!! It reminds me of one of my favorite poems of all time that I wanted to share with you.



It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of God's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine.

The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
GOD opens this flower so easily,
But in my hands they die.

If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of God's design,
Then how can I have the wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?

So I'll trust in God for leading
Each moment of my day.
I will look to God for guidance
In each step of the way.

The path that lies before me,
Only my Lord knows.
I'll trust God to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose.
Author Unknown.

3 comments:

Laura said...

That poem goes along perfectly with my last blog post. I had read that poem befor but had forgetten it. Thanks for the reminder.

Amanda said...

I love peonies, too :) and they smell soooo good!.. Like, sweet and sugar smelling... My grandma used to always have them when I was little.. and I remember they always had ants all over them..do yours?

Anonymous said...

I am the same way...I am very thankful for the cards that come with the flowers that tell me where they can be planted...And I am very fortunate that I got to spend a couple of years next to some amazing gardners! (Joel and Laura)...However, Peonies are my least favorite because of the ants! And that was the song playing on the blog as I was reading about your peonies (The Ants go Marching)...How appropriate!

Julie Hamlett