Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday, August 23, 2010 - Update

Last week, Olivia was evaluated by the school district.  She loses her services through Rainbows at 3 years old at which time they are picked up by the school.  She has to go through a qualification process, however, to determine whether she is eligible based on if/how far she is behind developmentally.   She did amazing and we joked that she was going to disqualify herself.   I was so proud of the things that she has worked so hard to do.  Tomorrow morning, we have her IEP meeting to discuss the results and the areas that she needs more assistance in.  I believe she will qualify for OT and PT, but I don’t think she’s too far behind in speech.   I’m really nervous.  If she qualifies, she will go to preschool and I’m just not ready to send her to preschool.  It’s very important to us, however, to give Olivia the assistance necessary to allow her to accomplish anything in life.  I want to grant her every opportunity to catch up in areas that are difficult for her.  Hopefully, preschool will allow her to do that.  I’m praying that we see eye to eye with what the school recommends for her.  But, it will be really really hard to send my baby to school.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Whether she qualifies or not, you and Ryan are amazing parents and educators, and she will have two of the best advocates for her in getting any extra help she will need. I know this is a very difficult for you, and I know that God will lead you down the path that's best for her. I can't wait to hear what you find out.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel!! It is so scary to send your baby to school. The first day of kindergarten when Kate got on the bus it took all I had to NOT get in my car and follow it to school to make sure she was ok, the bus didn't crash, etc. Olivia is so sweet-I wanted her to sit on my lap all day.
Julie in Evergreen