Saturday, October 1, 2011

To Those Who Look Away

Just thought I’d share this poem that I saw on another blog and it really struck a chord with me.  I think sometimes people dismiss the fact that I lost a son because he was “only” a month old.  They don’t realize or recognize how deep a mother’s love is.  During those 23 weeks that Logan was in the womb and the month (and one day) that he was in this world, I saw him grow up.  My whole life became about him and Olivia.  I saw them going to kindergarten together, sharing birthdays, wondering if I’d buy them two cars or have them share. . .A mother’s love is truly limitless and knows no beginning or end.

TO THOSE WHO LOOK AWAY


To those who look away ...
when I grow teary-eyed in the baby department, look a little deeper.
Surely you have some compassion in your heart.

To those who change the subject when I speak my son’s name,
change your way of thinking.
It just might change your whole life.


To those who roll their eyes and say that we barely had them at all, how could we miss them so much, in our hearts we have seen them live a thousand times.   We have seen their first steps, first day of school, their weddings, and their children.
We have had them forever in our minds.

To those who say we can have another,
we did.
I thank God for her everyday,
but even if I have twenty more babies,
I will forever have one in the grave,
and that is one too many.

To those who say to get on with my life,
I have.
It is a different life,
The life of a grieving mother.
One with a tremendous amount to be thankful for,
but also one with a lot to mourn the loss of!
Do not judge the bereaved mother.
She comes in many forms.
She is breathing,
but she is dying.
She may look young,
but inside she has become ancient.
She smiles, but her heart sobs.
She walks, she talks, she cooks, she cleans, she works, she IS, but she IS NOT, all at once.
She is here, but part of her is elsewhere for eternity.
Do not dismiss us: we have shaped more than just the future generation.
We have released all the tiny angels who are watching over you
Open your eyes to US
and you just might see THEM.

~~~ Author Unknown ~~~

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Awww.... That is so touching. The part I can relate to, is when people say, "you can have more..." I always wanted to say (and did sometimes) "I don't want "more"... I want that one!" I/you could have 10 more and it wouldn't replace or fill the void of the ones we've lost. He was precious... And you just can't NOT imagine what he would've been like... He'd a been cute :) I do know that! And olivia and him would have been best of friends. Love you!

Michele said...

Huuuugs!!!! This post made me cry. Thank you for posting this....I love it. I so badly know what you are feeling, what you are writing. For 23 weeks, I dreamed of taking my twins to twins days, having my twins. Now I have one with many special needs. I've had Gina and all my miscarriages since...but I still can't have nick...and my twins. Ugh. Thinking of you. Your son would have been amazing!

Anonymous said...

Amazing poem... It speaks volumes. Thank you for sharing!
Love
Neva