Saturday, May 5, 2012

Night In The ER

Planters NUT-rition Energy Mix, 9.25-Ounce Cans (Pack of 3)

This is the best nut mix EVER.  I like it more than cake.  It is a sweet indulgence for me with the added benefit of not raising my blood sugar.  I can eat it with other foods and it keeps my blood sugar where it should be.  Sounds like a miracle food, right?  Wrong.  Sadly, I will never enjoy another can.

I spent last night in the ER.  I have an 8 mm kidney stone that has yet to pass.  I started eating these nuts again a few weeks ago.  The last time I ate them, I was in the ER with a 2 mm kidney stone.  I knew it could have been caused by the nuts, but I love them so much I convinced myself otherwise. 

It’s so frustrating.  As a diabetic, I cannot enjoy carbs or sweets and have to base my diet on protein and veggies.  Now, I can’t enjoy one of the few things that I should be able to eat.  In fact, to prevent further kidney stones, I’ve read that I should watch my protein intake and I HAVE to have protein to prevent a spike in blood sugar.  I can’t win. 

The ER doctor could not believe that I wasn’t doubled over in pain from a kidney stone that size.  Stones over 7 mm rarely pass on their own.  Oddly enough, I think my 2 mm stone was more painful.  But, I haven’t passed it yet so ask me later.  I’m just extremely uncomfortable right now, trying to increase my water intake and lay low for awhile.  When it’s really quiet, however, you could listen for my scream.  And, you’ll know that it’s finally passed.

2 comments:

Cristi said...

I sure didn't know nuts could cause kidney stones. Thanks for the info.

Jodi said...

Many stones are calcium oxalate, so you have to watch your oxalate intake. Some nuts are high in oxalate.