Sunday, December 2, 2012

Abigail’s Birth Story

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 I was at the hospital with contractions and back pain.  They said they were Braxton Hick’s and since I wasn’t dilated, they sent me home.  On Monday, November 19, 2012 we went to see my OB to ease some of our fears.  I was concerned about contractions because of my classical/vertical c section scar and dilation because of my cerclage.  After the appointment, I even made it to Olivia’s Thanksgiving party at preschool.  That night, I continued to be very uncomfortable and hadn’t slept for a few nights.  When I was just about asleep, around 3 am, my water broke.  It wasn’t a huge gush of fluid and honestly I first thought I had peed my pants.  But, then it kept happening (LOL) so we called the grandparents.  We arrived at the hospital around 4 am and I was having pretty bad contractions.  They confirmed that my water had broke and called my OB in.  Then, they basically prepped me and got me ready for the OR.  Abigail was born at 6:47 am. I had to laugh because I had gone to the hospital and had Abigail before Olivia had even gotten up.  She had no idea what was going on until grandma and grandpa told her that morning. 


We couldn’t wait to meet our little girl, although I hoped to make it a little farther.  Abigail was 35 weeks and 2 days. 


She weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and 18.5 inches long.  And, at birth, she cried.  I cried. . .it was amazing.  At 23 weeks, my babies didn’t cry and it was such a blessed sound to hear.  She was doing awesome, but they did take her to the NICU on CPAP.  She was only on it, however, for about 6 hours.  The day after her birth, Ryan got really sick with pneumonia and could not be at the hospital with me.  Then, a few days later, after a chest x-ray, I was found to have the start of pneumonia.  As much as I hated her NICU stay, I don’t think we would have been able to take her home.  Not being able to see either one of my children (or husband) was really hard!  Thankfully, the NICU nurses we had come to know 5 years ago took great care of our sweet Abigail.  And my mom kept me company at the hospital.  Abigail was soon moved to special care and we were healthy enough to be able to visit. 


On Wednesday, November 28, 2012, when she was 8 days old. . .we were able to take her home.  As much as I hate that we had to take the NICU journey again, it was entirely different this time and her 8 days don’t dseem too long compared to Olivia’s 105 days.  I can’t tell you how much we have enjoyed her so far!  After pumping and bottle feeding Olivia for over 6 months, I am thrilled to be able to breastfeed Abigail.  She is a pro at it. . even after bottle feeding while in the hospital.  We have enjoyed sharing our beautiful baby with family and friends.  I knew Olivia would be a great big sister, but she has far exceeded my expectations.  I only wish I was able to play with her a bit more. 


Abigail and Grandma Glunt


Abigail and Grandpa Glunt

photo (60)

Abigail and Grandma Sailing


Abigail and Grandpa Sailing

And, as tiny as Abigail seems at not quite 6 lbs. . . she is huge compared to the size Olivia was at birth.  Abigail was 2680 grams and Olivia was 498 grams.

photo (60)

It has definitely been a different experience this time around.  I feel like I’m able to enjoy the newborn stage a little bit more this time around.  Of course, by the time we got to the newborn stage with Olivia, we had been to hell and back, it seemed. I’m definitely blessed with my two little girls.  You know, Abigail looks nothing like Olivia did.  She does, however, resemble Logan a bit.  He also had dark hair like Abigail has.  Of course, we’ll never know how much Abigail might look like him, but it’s comforting to know she may resemble him some.  I look forward to bright days ahead. 

No comments: