Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday, January 25, 2013

I tell ya, 5+ years of constantly fretting about your child's weight takes its toll. Olivia has gained nothing in 6 months. She is such a poor eater and it doesn't help that she's been constantly sick almost for months. I have her on vitamin C, a high quality vitamin and thank goodness she drinks Pediasure. It doesn't matter what I fix, she only takes a few bites and is done. Every night, without fail, she says her stomach hurts and can't eat anymore. The other night, she ate a few bites of chicken and an hour later, she was still chewing on the chicken! She does that with other food as well, like carrots or apples or any kind of meat, until finally I just let her spit it out. It's almost like she can't sit down to eat unless we tell her how many bites until she's done. How in the world is she going to eat once she goes to school without someone supervising her? And if you've never had a child who doesn't eat, it's hard to explain. Abigail is already tons different. You put anything in her mouth and she'll suck on it. Olivia has never liked anything in her mouth.

I don't know, I just want to see Olivia growing and thriving. I know she's going to be small and skinny. In a time of the obesity epidemic, that's fine. But I just know how little she eats and that's what bothers me. If she ate well and was still small, I wouldn't worry, ya know? I keep wanting to turn a corner and we never do. Anyway, so that's what is on my mind at 5 am while my other child is ravenously hungry. Please continue to pray for her growth and health.

Speaking of that, we will be participating in the March for Babies this year on April 6th. Since we didn't do it last year, I'm hoping to come back strong this year. We would love all previous team members to return and to gain many new ones. I will be posting a link to my personal page soon. Thanks for all of your past, present and future support. It means so much!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Olivia sounds just like Carson. Since he turned two he is SO picky. Today at lunch he poked his pasta once with his finger then pushed it away. I try to fix things that I know he likes but so far our Pedi isn't concerned. Carson wants snacks like Cheddar and Fruit Bunnies but will refuse meals. Evan will eat any and everything. He is 13 months old and weighs 24 pounds! Is your Pedi concerned?

Jodi said...

My pedi isn't really concerned. Nobody really is but me it seems because no one sees the whole picture as to how bad she eats. She's almost 5 1/2 and doesn't even weigh 31 lbs. I'm afraid one of these days, her pedi will be concerned about what I've been saying all along. She has oral aversions that I don't feel were ever dealt with effectively. And I should have kept her on puréed / baby food longer instead of feeling pressured to move to regular food that she doesn't eat.

Unknown said...

Wow. Carson just turned two in November and weighs 31 pounds. Sometimes I wonder if Carson has some issues with textures but his Occupational Therapist says he doesn't. Today he has hardly ate anything. I worry also but my Husband says that he will eat if he gets hungry. It's hard being a Mama!

Jamie said...

Well Olivia has a few pounds on Will! I have never stressed about his weight because for so long he did eat really well. But in the last year or so the quantity he eats has gone way down. He still eats many different things but just not a lot of it. He does the same exact thing with chicken and most other meats. It takes him forever to chew them up. I usually cut them up into tiny bites for him and it still takes him a long time to eat them. Our Pediatrician has never been concerned either but at his 5 year appointment she did tell us to start putting Carnation Instant breakfast in his milk at dinner. That is the only extra thing we do and I don't think it's really helped much. Lindy eats like a horse and but still only weighs 34lbs. Mine are both so short too. I really don't worry about them but I keep waiting for the day the doctor gets a little more worried about Will.

Jodi said...

Thanks for making me not feel so alone. :). I didn't worry as much about Olivia when she was healthy all the time, but this past year she has had one thing after another. She has been sick more in the last few months than she's been in five years. And she went to preschool last year too!