Wednesday, February 20, 2013

ADHD

I'm really needing some advice from moms of kids with ADHD. Olivia is not officially diagnosed, but we strongly suspect that is what she has. Most everyone who meets her, suspects it as well as she has such a hard time sitting still. Most of the time, she is in constant motion and has been like this since she was a baby. She learned to walk before she could stand. To me, this isn't a problem as I know I can't expect her to sit still for a lengthy period of time. (Come kindergarten, it may be.) Some people stare at us as if to say,"Why can't you make your child sit still?" And that just infuriates me. She has a constant need to keep moving and isn't hurting anyone. The majority of the time, she listens very well and I couldn't ask for a better behaved child. But, at times it is a problem. Her impulsivity and hyperactivity sometimes get her into trouble. It's like a switch gets flipped and I "lose" her. She starts laughing, running around and I can't "bring her back" without threatening her. Then, she says," I was just laughing and being happy." Any advice on how to calm your child in those instances or how to teach them to calm themselves? I don't know what the trigger is and when to expect these outbursts and I pray I'm not in public. Sometimes it is brought on by fatigue, but other than that, I don't know when to expect it. I could really use some more strategies to help her. And to better understand why she acts this way. Any advice would be appreciated.

No comments: