Friday, April 26, 2013

Healthy Grieving

And this is why this blog has been so wonderful for me. Thanks for letting me tell my story over and over again.


Healthy Grieving: Step Four
Day 54

The fourth step in healthy grieving is to tell your story to others. Give someone an honest account of your loss.

"Grieving means talking about what you're going through in the presence of some other people and letting them react to you," says Dr. Jim Conway.

So how do you find the right people to share with? First consider your family members. Then consider sharing with members of a grief recovery group. If these options are not good for you, as mentioned previously, try to find someone in your church or neighborhood who has experienced a loss similar to yours. If you tell him or her that you need someone to talk to, that person will likely be glad to meet with you.

It may seem easier and more desirable to keep your words, thoughts, and emotions inside and to busy yourself with work and activities to help you forget. But that forgetfulness is short-lived and ultimately ineffective. True healing will only occur when you slow down and let grief run its course.

"Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles" (Philippians 4:14).

Lord Jesus, You know what is best for me much more than I ever will. Open my heart and my mouth and enable me to share my story with others. Amen.

No comments: