Sunday, April 13, 2014

Turning A New Leaf

I’m currently reading a book about living in the present (or the now) and not in the past or the future.

photo (2)

I’ve found that I spend most of my time allowing my mind to drift into the past with regret or guilt or in the future with unease and worry.  Every single day of my life.  It is so hard for me to be still and not allow my mind to wander.  It’s interesting because whenever I attempt to do so, there is always a cat in my lap. . .as if they can sense my availability.  I could learn a lot from them I’m sure. 

Recently I was listening to the clock tick and the refrigerator hum and I looked over and noticed that my beloved plant was almost dead.  How did I not notice before? I bought Hilga (yes, my plant has a name) in February 2001.  I bought her the first weekend in my new apartment over 13 years ago and now the poor thing was near death.

So, I repotted her, moved her to a new part of the house, watered her and I’ve enjoyed watching her.  I analyze each branch for any sign of life. 

Olivia has enjoyed it too and even drew a picture of her. (And, yes, she probably had about that many leaves. LOL!)

photo (93)

Her bare, brown branches are turning green with the hope of new leaves.  This has been quite therapeutic for me.  If a plant can come back after years of neglect, maybe I can return after years of neglecting myself? Maybe there is hope for me?

photo (94)

No comments: