Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - Update

What an awful, awful day. Olivia had an eye appointment today with her new doctor. Her previous one is leaving town and the new doctor is the only one here. I liked him okay. . .it wasn't that. Olivia just cannot stand to have her eyes messed with. . .she freaks out. It started with the ROP exams in the NICU. Shots, blood draws and such aren't a big deal at all to her, but shine a light and mess with her eyes and she can't handle it. It was awful. They had to hold her legs, arms and head down as she thrashed and yelled and cried. Afterwards, I couldn't get her calmed down and the doctor was trying to talk to me. I could tell that he was getting impatient with her. . I was getting impatient with her and I've never lost my patience with her before. Then I was mad at myself for getting impatient with her. . .it's not her fault. I will never go to another eye appt by myself. On top of everything, it was really hot in the room and I started getting a really bad migraine. She left crying, I was in tears. . . .I got home and couldn't get a hold of my husband or my mom. Olivia's Rainbows teacher left a message on the answering machine about how her eye appt went. Poor lady. I left a blubbering message for her because she's the first person I had to talk to.

Anyway, the patching starts again although now we are alternating eyes every day. If he doesn't see improvement next month when we go in, he's going to try her with glasses. That makes me sad as I can't even imagine that there are glasses small enough to fit her. She will probably also have to have strabismus surgery in a few months, but that can be combined with the surgery to unblock her tear ducts. He also prescribed eye drops to help with the matting of her eyes. I've been wanting some for months!

Olivia is calmed down now that we're home. I almost called to cancel her neurologist appt tomorrow morning because I think we've had enough for this week, but there's a $25 cancellation charge if it's less than 24 hours. Hopefully, I can get Olivia to take a good, long nap and I can get rid of this pounding headache.

3 comments:

Casey's trio said...

How awful. I'm so sorry that the appt was so hard today. I hope you both get some good rest and that you are able to seing the neuro appt tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs!

Katy B said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Olivia's eye appt.
I know how it feels to hear your child has to wear glasses. Both of mine have them. (ages 3 & a half and 17 months)
My oldest daughter had eye surgery a year ago & we are glad we did it.
My husband & I were SO upset, but now our girls are used to the glasses & they look SO cute in them. :)
Hang in there!:)
Olivia will look cute in little glasses too.

Jazen said...

I'm so sorry about the appt. I understand the holding down, crying, trying to break free. That is what my oldest does when he has to have his eyes dialted for a new prescription. We did strabismus surgery last year and it is definitely worth it. You have my email if you have questions or need to talk. Hang in there and I'm praying for you.