Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday, August 18, 2008 - Update

Family picture (Johnny Chuck symbolizes our sweet Logan.)

Olivia was seen by her physical therapist today. . .not quite as much good news to report. Her PT feels that by almost 8 months adjusted, Olivia should be showing a bit more interest in moving. She is perfectly content to lay on her back (after rolling over from her tummy) and play with her hands. We all believe that her vision is playing a bigger part in this than we first believed. We are working with her to get her to crawl and she cries the whole time. Now jumping. . .she could jump all day. I am going to have to tell myself that it's okay if she gets upset when I'm working with her. I tend to stop and let her do something that makes her happy. Without getting frustrated, however, she may not be motivated to progress to the next developmental step. For instance, I put her Gerber puffs in her hand to get her to put it in her mouth. She sticks her fist in her mouth, but can't seem to get the puff out. She cries with her mouth wide open so I put it in myself. I guess I need to let her get a little more frustrated and try harder to do it herself. That's hard for me to do. Please continue to keep Olivia in your prayers as she grows and develops.

3 comments:

Sue said...

All children develop at their own rate. I wouldn't assume the worse and think that Olivia is progressing slowly because of her prematurity. One grandson of mine had no interest in rolling from his back to front until he was 11 months old!! One granddaughter didn't crawl until two weeks before she walked!!

Much love and of course many prayers.

Chris & AnnMarie said...

I so know what you mean! I can't stand to hear Coy cry so I immediately pick him up if he isn't liking a position I put him in! I was thinking the same thing as you! Hang in there girl. We're right there with ya!

The Microblogologist said...

As I recall those puff things get a bit sticky when wet. You might try sticking one of her fist in a place that will end up in her mouth. Perhaps it would help her practice the movement without getting too distraught until she gets the hang of it more. Just a thought =)

That picture is beautiful!