Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday, November 13, 2008 - Update

Sometimes I'm crazy happy!

As a mother of an extremely premature baby, I always worry about the long term effects of everything that Olivia went through. You can understand how nice it was to read the following article that my dad sent to me:

Babies placed in incubators decrease risk of depression as adults

I'll take any bit of positive news that I can get. I know I worry too much about Olivia. For instance, right now she is refusing bottles and losing weight. As of 1 pm today, she has taken a whopping 4 oz! She seems interested in her bottle, but then takes 2-3 oz and she's done. She doesn't make up for it in baby food either. I don't know if she needs to have her Prevacid increased as they haven't ever weight adjusted it. Could it be her teeth are hurting her that bad? She takes her best bottle before bed and that's after a dose of Tylenol. I feel that all I've done lately is "remind" her to eat. She has done this before, but never for this long and she hasn't ever lost weight during it. I just wish that she would eat.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry. I remember the start of that road. :( I'd definitely look into getting her Prevacid increased...also, how many cal/oz is she on right now? Could you go up in calories? We went to 24 and then 26 cal/oz while still on infant formula...

twin power mommy ♥ said...

Well, just to encourage you, my twins were born at exactly 25 weeks weighing 1.2 and 1.3 pounds.
They are now 6 and are in 1st grade.
It was hard up until about 1 year and 1/2 ago. I was always worried about their development, their weak immune system and their weight.
They were continually in the hospital for pnuemonia or something else.
But now they are sooooo normal. They are walking normally, interacting (somewhat) normally (they are just SUPER attached to each other, so there's not a whole lot of interaction with others) but on the whole...NORMAL!

So there IS hope for your precious baby girl. Hang in there, get her as much early intervention help as you can and don't worry if she's not comparing with her same age counterparts.

Oh yeah...and my girls are STILL extremely underweight (32 and 35 pounds at 6 1/2).
Please feel free to stop by my blog and check it out sometime!
I also have the story of my girls on the right side.
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Olivia is a year old - she probably wants to be weaned from the bottle - It is a normal time to be independent and unfortunately you can't force the bottle into her. Since she is on formula, you could try adding a little powder to each of her meals - even her beloved macaroni, to boost her calorie intake. Also, children from about 10 months on, gain weight extremely slowly -! And now that she is moving about and more active with her arms and legs, she will burn even more calories. I can imagine that because you had a preterm baby you are pretty obsessed with weight, but from a mother with 3 full term babies, weighing a child after about 6 months of age rarely happens. Once the child is looking and acting healthy the weight is not so important. I honestly could not say if my child weighed heavier or lighter than she did last month or yesterday. Once you feed her healthy food, your own if possible rather than shop bought, then you know she is eating the right stuff. And when you make your own babyfood, you can bulk up the calories so easily by adding rice, potatoes, meat etc.
Good luck, Suzanne