Monday, September 27, 2010

A is for Apple

Olivia and I started our preschool today learning about the letter A. Of course, my 30 minute lesson plan was over in 15 minutes, so I had to add in a few more things. We started the day by making applesauce. And. . .the apples smelled so good cooking in the crock pot that I had to eat a piece and then another and another. I don’t know how many are actually left to make into applesauce. Here is the recipe for those wanting a quick, easy way to make it.

--4 large apples, skinned ,cored, and cut in quarters
--juice from 1 lemon
--1/2 tsp cinnamon
--1 tsp vanilla
--1 T brown sugar
--1/4 cup H20

The Directions.
I used a 4 quart crockpot for the applesauce.
Skin, core, and cut your apples into quarters. Plop the pieces into your crockpot. Add the juice from the lemon, and the water. Pour in the vanilla and add the cinnamon and brown sugar.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. When the apples are super tender, mash with a potato masher or large fork.

IMGP5613

IMGP5615

Unfortunately, this applesauce was not Olivia approved.  I think it was a little too tart for her.  She made a funny face and immediately asked for “new applesauce” aka Motts.  LOL.

Here is what Olivia worked on today at home. We colored an apple and made an apple book. She is still learning how to work scissors, so I did most of the cutting myself. That is one of the skills we’re working on in OT.

IMGP5614

I also spoke with her preschool teacher today. We are shortening Olivia’s day, but adding another day each week. Instead of going Tuesdays from 8:50-11:50, she’ll go Tues/Thur from 10 – 11:50. We’ll see how that goes. She is also going to take Gogum to school with her in hopes he’ll provide some comfort. (I have an extra one stashed away in case he doesn’t make it home.) Please continue to pray for this situation to work itself out. Pray for her teachers, for Olivia (and for mom and dad.)

No comments: