Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Thursday, September 29, 2010 - Update

IMGP5058

IMGP5052

Autumn and Tobey are now the best of friends.  I didn’t think the day would ever come, but now Autumn mothers him and grooms him on a regular basis.  They cuddle, they wrestle, they love on each other . . .just like my sister-in-law, Shelley, said they would.  At the moment, I’m wondering if Olivia is ever going to get through a day of school without crying.  I’m hoping that if my cats have taught me anything, they’ve taught me that things do work themselves out.  We’ve made quite a few changes to Olivia’s school day in hopes that one or all of the changes will help.  I guess Olivia has trouble managing herself.  She completes a task and doesn’t know what to do with herself while waiting for the other kids to finish so she sits and cries.  She doesn’t know how to ask for help, even though her language is there.   She knows how to ask for help at home, although I can better anticipate what she needs and when.  She now goes to school two days a week (Tues, Thurs) instead of just one, but her days are shorter.  I know the shorter day helps (2 hours instead of 3) but it’s tough sending her another day.  Again, I know the reasoning behind it. . .she starts to get used to school, but then doesn’t go for another week.  I’m grateful that her teachers are trying to find a solution.  Please pray that this situation gets better as it’s been tough on all of us.

I did see a glimmer of hope yesterday.  Sometimes, Olivia gets in her cozy coupe and tells me she’s going somewhere.  It’s usually the grocery store or Target, but yesterday she said she was going to school.  (We normally can’t mention the word school without big tears.)   Then, she jumped out and said, “But, I need my back pack!!” She ran upstairs to get it and requested to wear it while driving her car.  I think this is a good sign!! 

2 comments:

Laura said...

I think it is a great sign that Olivia was driving to school. I am glad your cats taught you to just sit back and relax and let things work out. Hard to do sometimes but it really is the best policy.

Laura said...

Reminds me of the verse. "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 Good advice, huh?