Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - Update

Olivia doing her happy dance

At what age is it that we stop dancing around for no particular reason. . .just out of sheer happiness? Olivia has the cutest little happy dance that she does. She has started a new game where she goes around and touches things and wants you to tell her what they are. She has learned a lot of new words in the past two days like door frame, paper, wall, dresser, etc. She is developing such an inquisitive mind. She has also started a new game where she does something that she's not supposed to do and when I tell her no, she just laughs. Yeah, I'm going to have to step up the discipline side of my parenting. She has started giving me those looks as if to say, "Well, what are you going to do about it?" The most important part of discipline (besides clear expecations) is consistency and there are things that I don't mind if she does at home, but I don't want her to do at other people's houses. Or, I don't want her throwing certain sippy cups on the floor, but I don't mind if she drops the no-spill ones. This sort of confuses her, so I really need to get my plan together. I really don't like her throwing food on the floor, but on the other hand, I'm just glad that she's eating. You can't expect a toddler to not be messy. These gray areas are kind of tough.

6 comments:

Stacie said...

I love her happy dance!!

angie c said...

I have to tell you that I laughed when I saw her in winter jammies on this 99degree day. We, on the other extreme, put hannah to bed in onesies during the summer time!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How sweet. Rules are hard when they are so darn cute!

Sherri said...

I will tell you...disipline is VERY hard to do. You knw since Gannon was so sick when he was a baby we let him get away with SO much. I just kept thinking he is alive and getting better so who cars....so I understand all of those gray areas. I find myself being pulled sometimes on how to make the right choice myself. I don't mind when he does certain things here at our house...but I hate him doing those things at others' houses because I know its now appropriate. So hang in there...you will find a balance :D ps: When you do, let me know! haha

Laura said...

Just knowing you know the words "clear expectations" and "cosistency" gives me all the confidence I need to know you and Ryan will do a GREAT job parenting!

Anonymous said...

I love her happy dance. And with the discipline... I like to accept that my son Isaac, who is 2 weeks older than Olivia, is just getting ready to turn terrible.

Tara