Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Today was Olivia’s first day back to preschool.  When I picked her up, we headed to the “bouncing animals” park and I tell ya, we had so much fun.  We drew letters in the sand and tried to see who could find the biggest rock.  It’s not a fancy park or a big park, but Olivia loves it. . .especially the bouncing duck. 

photo (43)

I love it because it reminds me of the parks of yesteryear with the old fashioned slide and merry-go-round and monkey bars. No high tech playground equipment there.

photo (44)

photo (42)

I guess it made me nostalgic for the days when I could walk to the city park or swimming pool.  We do not even have a park within walking distance of where we live.  I miss that smaller town feel. . .granted we live in a small town, but technically it’s on the outskirts of town in a subdivision. 

photo (41)

And it was then. . .at the top of the slide that I had an epiphany.  We need to just sell our house and move to a small town near a park.  It doesn’t have to be far away.  It doesn’t have to be a bigger or better house. . .just something different.  Sure, when I was telling Ryan about it, it no longer seemed very practical and I was probably only half serious by that point.  But, for a moment it made perfect sense.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my house, but sometimes wouldn’t it be great to just start anew?  Amid our struggles with depression over the past few years, sometimes it feels like we just need a big change in our lives.

Who knows what came over me, but as the sun was starting to set we decided it was time to go home.  Olivia had a hard time saying good-bye to her duck and hugged him and told him she’d be back to see him soon.  But I think both of us had just the kind of day we needed.

No comments: