Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I have a really difficult decision to make. I met with a chiropractor who has treated hundreds upon hundreds of babies with colic and gas related discomforts. I know, i was kinda skeptical too, but he came highly referred by a few people i really trust. He believes colic is caused by a weak valve in the intestines. Over a 2 week period, he strengthens that valve by a simple tummy massage and the baby's discomfort goes away.

http://docscharenberg.com/coliccure.html

Many foods in the breastfeeding mother's diet can aggravate your baby's discomfort. You are asked to abstain from all the" no" foods for 2 weeks and then slowly add them back I'm. I know something in my diet is hurting her, because she is so much better on formula. A different baby. It could be beef, tomatoes, fruit, lettuce, any spices, caffeine, it could even be my prenatal vitamin. Protein and fiber are the biggest culprits, not dairy. I base my diet around protein because of my blood sugars. I just didn't realize babies could be so sensitive to everything you eat. So, what do I do? Keep breastfeeding when I know it hurts her tummy? Or switch to formula. It's possible that after 2 weeks I can add those foods back in. So do I pump for 2 weeks? I'm supposed to start a supplement to help boost my supply, but it causes gas discomfort in some babies. What do I do? This morning I fed her a bottle of formula because I didn't want to see her in pain and she kept trying to nurse. It made me cry. So I nursed her and within minutes she was uncomfortable. I'm honestly in tears over it. I try to eat well and do what's best for her and its not working. Praying for some answers soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my opinion. One of you will be unhappy...either you or Abigail. The food sensitivity will go away as her digestive tract strengthens. Clearly she loves to nurse, so keep it up. She isn't hungry, just uncomfortable and as she develops and begins to eat solid foods, the discomfort will also go away. So, within a few months you will have a happy baby and a happy mother. If you switch to formula, she will miss the closeness of the nursing and so will you. She may still cry because you no longer have the option to comfort fed her, or feed her on demand and then not only will you be an unhappy mother because you have quit breastfeeding, but she may be an unhappy baby because she wants to nurse and you can't give her that option. I've also struggled with a cranky uncomfortable baby but I allowed myself the time to realise that the discomfort is temporary and it will pass with time. There will always be a new challenge to face with children, and as parents we cannot always find the solution that makes the child happiest. Sometimes we need to be strong and just deal with the tough times. You are not damaging Abigail by nursing her. Remember the age old phrase or parenting...'it's just a phase, it will pass'

Julie said...

If you really love to nurse and want to keep it up, then I would go with pumping for two weeks and just use all that breast milk for when she starts on cereal. I would also keep taking the supplement to keep your milk supply up for when you go back to nursing. I do agree that most digestive issues to tend to resolve themselves once the baby's digestive system is mature enough.

Anonymous said...

Personally (and please know I have NOTHING against breastfeeding), I would quit breastfeeding. I was unable to produce enough milk and while it made me sad, it made me sadder to see my babies trying to nurse and having it make them mad and uncomfortable. There's nothing wrong with not being able to nurse. It's awesome if you can, but if Abigail's that uncomfortable, you have to think if the pay off is really worth it. It COULD get better in a few weeks, but it also might not. Just a thought!