Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Monday, September 10, 2007 - Evening Update

Jodi sent me this update late last night, I apologize I am just now getting this posted. - Stacie

Well, we just got home from the hospital and it’s close to 10 pm and we’re exhausted. Both Logan and Olivia have some rough days ahead, but I know they will get through it. Olivia, like I’ve mentioned before, has an infection and is on antibiotic. If the bacteria has entered her CVC line, they may have to remove it. They hope she will be fine without a line until the bacteria is gone. Then, they will put another one in. She is also fighting chronic lung disease (CLD). The ventilators that they are on can burn their lungs and form scar tissue. That scar tissue can lead to the lung disease. We basically have to wait it out and let her pull through it and we don’t know how long that will take. .maybe weeks. . maybe more. When I went to see her today, they were bagging her because she was desatting on her oxygen. It’s always so scary to sit there and watch their monitors. Olivia is only content when she’s not being bothered and is in the darkness and security of her bed. She doesn’t even like us to lift her covers or turn on the light to see her. We’re going to have to buy some night goggles just to see our precious baby girl. Again, this is pretty common of a 23 weeker and she will become more tolerable of handling as she gets older.

Logan now has a cute little belly button. He also starting taking some milk today (just .9 cc) I got to take his temperature AND change his little diaper today. Later tonight, Ryan got to take his temperature and change a diaper as well. He does have some collapsed air sacs on his lungs. They are turning up his ventilator settings slowly to help open them back up. Dr. Hsiao (pronounced like shower without the –er) compared it to opening up a bag. You could just shake it hard one time and get it to open, but that could cause damage to the lungs. Instead, you just gradually pull it apart. Logan also has CLD as well. Most premature babies outgrow some to most of this as their lungs further mature. Logan is off of his antibiotic. . his last culture came back negative.

When we got home, we went to get the mail and Logan and Olivia had their first pieces of mail!!! Of course, they were only their insurance cards, but they were addressed to them and so they will go in the scrap book. It kind of brightened our day!!

I still can’t believe the outpouring of love and the number of prayers that our family has received. It is because of your prayers and because of God’s love that Ryan and I are able to get through each day. Many of you know me, although some of you do not. If you looked up ‘strong’ in the dictionary, you would not find a description of me. I’m a very sensitive person. . .I’ve always considered myself too sensitive. For example, when we lived in our apartment, I took care of about 10 stray cats. I still feel guilty to this day about leaving them there and that was 3 ½ years ago. I never thought I would ever be able to go through anything like this. Am I mad sometimes? Yes. I don’t understand why this had to happen. Why would God make me wait so long for a baby and endure that hardship only to face another? I don’t know. People tell me the best place for the babies is at Wesley’s NICU and I’m so grateful for their expertise and knowledge of premature babies. I then have to tell people that a BETTER place for my babies would be my womb. Truth is. . .the BEST place for them is in God’s hands. That’s where they’ve been and that’s where they will continue to be. I know HE is watching out for them and I pray for the day that I get to bring them home. Thank you for keeping all of us in your prayers.

8 comments:

Busker said...

Dear Jodi & Ryan,

I just wanted to let you know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers every day. We have asked everybody that we know to pray for Logan and Olivia, as well as both of you. This website is wonderful, the girls and I check it many times through out the day. I really admire your strength and faith in God. Just like you said, Logan and Olivia are in God's hands and what better place could they be.

Thinking of you
Joe, Kim, Donte, Kira, Janna and Cheyenne

Anonymous said...

Jodi, what a wonderful thing it is that you realize the best place for Logan and Livi is God's hands. I am reminded of Job. Even during all of his trials he was able to praise God. Here is a personalized paraphrase:
Jodi, a Good Woman Suffers
A woman named Jodi lived in the land of Kansas. She was an honest and innocent woman; she honored God and stayed away from evil. One day the angels came to show themselves before the Lord and Satan was with them. The Lord said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the Lord, "I have been wandering around the earth." Then the Lord said, "Have you noticed my servant Jodi? No one else on earth is like her. She is an honest and innocent woman, honoring God and staying away from evil." But Satan said, "Jodi honors God for a good reason. You have put a wall around her. You have blessed her. But reach out your hand and and destroy everything and she will curse you to your face." The Lord said, "All right, then." Pain and sorrow came into Jodi's life. Jodi cried out, "I have no peace or quietness, I have no rest, only trouble. My complaint is still bitter today. I groan. As surely as God lives, and God's breath of life is in my nose, my lips will not speak evil. I will teach you about the power of God and will not hide the ways of the Almighty." The Lord answered Jodi from the storm. He said: "Who gives food to the birds when their young cry out to God and wander about without food? Do you know when the mountain goats give birth? Do you watch when the deer gives birth to her fawn? Do you count the months until they give birth and know the right time for them to give birth? They lie down, their young are born, and then the pain of giving birth is over. Their young ones grow big and strong. Is it through your wisdom that the hawk flies? Will the person who argues with the Almighty correct him?" Then Jodi answered, " I am not worthy. I cannot answer you anything." The Lord spoke to Jodi from the storm: "Be strong." Then Jodi answered, "I know that you can do all things and that no plan of yours can be ruined. You said, 'Listen now and I will speak. I will ask you questions and you must answer me.' My ears had heard You before, but now my eyes have seen You." The Lord said, "My servant Jodi will pray and I will will listen to her prayer." The Lord blessed the last part of Jodi's life even more than the first part. She lived to see her children, grand-children, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.
I pray that I will not be like Job's comforters but only speak words of truth from the Holy Scriptures. May God continue to use you, Ryan, Logan and Olivia to further His purposes. Church Sunday was awesome. The Spirit of the Lord was so clearly present. Thank you for allowing yourselves to be used by God.
Laura

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Jodi and Uncle Ryan,
My Bitty Baby twins have been renamed Logan and Olivia. I can't wait until I can hold your twins at your house.
Love,
Rebekah

Anonymous said...

Olivia, Logan, mom and dad and the grandparents are constantly in our prayers. Thank God for the wonderful gifts He has given you and the opportunity to grow closer to Him and put your trust totally in Him(which is all God wants from us). You have two beautiful children and nothing can ever change that. Keep the faith and God bless.

Chris & Jean

Anonymous said...

i love you, logan and olivia
(Typed by Rebekah)

Anonymous said...

Jodi & Ryan,
Our family prays for your precious babies everynight! Jodi I am so proud of how strong you are! Remember God will never put us through anything that he doesn't think we can handle. I posted the web site address in Sunday School so all of your old friends could see the twins.
Love, Jamie Logan (Lange)

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Your email was passed on to me, I just want you to know that you and your little ones are in my prayers. My little one is in the NICU right now also, he was born at 30 weeks 5 days. He weighed 2lb 8oz. He's been there for almost 3 weeks now, and you just have to believe that they really are in the best place for them. I know it's hard, but really try not to watch the monitors...it will drive you crazy! Remember to take it "One day at a time"!

Courtny Tyler

Anonymous said...

Jodi & Ryan...

Olivia and Logan have enriched so many lives already. Just think of the number of prayer warriors who have grown closer to God with our continual prayers for you and your babies!! I've voiced my concern to my family in Wyoming and they've added Olivia and Logan to their prayer lists too -- the circle just keeps growing.

God Bless...Shelly