Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - Update

Sorry that I am just now writing the update. I’m happy to say that there is not a lot to report today. Both Logan and Olivia have had their oxygen turned up, which we were expecting. Logan has had his pressure turned up as well. . .again, we were expecting that. Both of them are having another transfusion today. They are hoping that the extra red blood cells will help with their oxygen. I’ve lost count as to how many transfusions that each of them has had. I am grateful to all of the people who give blood to the American Red Cross. It truly does save lives. They did a culture of Olivia’s CVC line this morning. If they find bacteria in the line, she will have to have it removed which we do not want to happen. Please pray that the cultures come back negative. We should have the results later tonight.

Weight Update:
Olivia 1 lb 7 oz
Logan 1 lb 4 ¾ oz

I had my 2 week post-op OB appt yesterday. It is believed that the cause of my premature labor was an incompetent cervix. Basically, my cervix was too weak to stay closed during pregnancy and began to efface without contractions. This incompetence is believed to cause 20 – 25% of second trimester losses. I do feel fortunate to have been able to carry them to 23 weeks . . . many women go into labor before there is any chance of the baby surviving outside of the womb. I was also able to be at the hospital when labor occurred. The frustrating thing is, they are unable to diagnose this condition until after a miscarriage or preterm delivery has occurred. This condition would also affect any future pregnancy of mine. There is a surgical procedure that they can do between 12-15 weeks of pregnancy that involves stitching the cervix shut. So, not only do I have trouble getting pregnant; I have trouble staying pregnant as well. However, God knows that. That’s why he gave me two babies at once. . my little boy and my little girl. Your prayers are working. Logan and Olivia are growing stronger every day and I just know that they are going to be fine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Omli) This is GREAT news today. So glad to see them gaining weight. We will continue to pray. Let your light shine! -Dave-

Anonymous said...

I am so touched by this whole page...it is amazing. All 4 of you are in my thoughts and prayers! I am so hapy to see them progressing. It was wonderful to see the 2 of you at the clinic today. You are both so special! I love you!

Michael Morales said...

Hi! This is Michael's wife Zoie. Since I am reading your blog daily and praying for your sweet babes, I figured it was time to send my encouragement your way. Trust in the Lord during this difficult time...I pray that you guys find hope and strength there. I will keep following Olivia and Logan's progress ...thanks for sharing your story. ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FAMILY. Hope to meet you and your children in the future!

Anonymous said...

Jodi and Ryan,
Wow! I meant to ask Mary how the twins were doing and I never got the chance. I think about your whole family all the time, and pray for Olivia and Logan constantly. What a great idea about the blog, though. It's such a useful way to keep everyone updated. I'm in computer class right now at school and thought this would be the perfect time to catch up. Stay strong and know that everyone is here for the both of you and Olivia and Logan! I love you and keep us posted!
xoxo,
Shea Poynter

Carie said...

With each picture they are looking better. I am very glad. I often think of all of you and hope that everything will turn out well.
God Bless.