Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sunday, October 5, 2008 - Update

Did you notice my new shoes?
I'll keep them on for the picture. . .
but, then I can't wait to get them off. I don't like having shoes on. . . even when my mom goes on and on about how cute they are.

Earlier this week, I picked up Olivia's first pair of Skechers. I figured that she can't go barefoot forever, even though she hates being in shoes or socks. With the cooler weather almost upon us, she's going to have to wear shoes. I have trouble finding shoes for her because her feet are really short and wide. I was thrilled to find some that actually fit! Now, if I can just keep them on her.

Olivia wants to crawl so very badly. She pushes up really well with her arms and has her leg technique perfected. She'll either be up on her knees or up on her arms, but never both at the same time. I'll be honest. . .sometimes it is difficult for Ryan and I to know that she is well over 6 months behind developmentally. It makes me feel like a bad mom. . .like I'm not doing something that I'm supposed to be doing. I want to give her every opportunity that I possibly can and every day I end up asking myself, "Did I do enough? Am I providing her with enough opportunities to learn? Am I missing some important thing that all parents are supposed to do?" I guess I'm just down on myself tonight (I know I should never write these posts late at night.) I can't go to sleep because my sinuses feel like they are going to explode. Tomorrow we are going to a memorial at Wesley Medical Center for Logan and other babies who left this earth too soon. Part of me wants to go, but it's extremely tough to think about Logan sometimes. I spend a lot of my energy focusing on what is and it's hard to think about what could have been. . .or rather what should have been. I try with all my might to make Logan proud. I just hope I do. Okay, off to bed I go. . .

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Have you tried soft soled shoes, such as Robeez? Sydney LIVED in her soft soled shoes until we had to get shoe inserts, and even still she still has a pair of pink ones that I let her wear sometimes because she adores them. They have the added benefit of being really good for their feet, too...they let their feet develop like they are barefoot without actually being barefoot. Plus they keep socks on really well. Muhahahaha.

Anyhow, just a thought!

Anonymous said...

definitely Robeez - Her little feet are probably still to underdeveloped for hard shoes and the hard soles don't allow her feet to develop naturally. Also, Robeez are more difficult to 'remove'!

Anonymous said...

Her shoes are so cute!
And as for the memorial, go. I know it will be difficult, but I think that you might be more at peace afterwards.
If it were me, I would go, because I would think that my child would want me to go.

Kim said...

I bought Nike Shox for Kaleb. He hates wearing them when we are at home. They make it harder for him to get into everything!

Olivia will crawl when she is ready. There is nothing that you can do but encourage her. I have been taking Kaleb to a play group with other babies his age. (They were all born within a month of each other. Kaleb is the youngest.) There are some that are not crawling, and there is one baby that has already taken his first steps. He is only 4 days older than Kaleb. They all learn at different times. That is why this age is so much fun. Everyday they surprise you with something that they know. Rest assurded, you are a great mother, and you are doing everything that you should be.

As for the memorial at the hospital...you should go. The support that you will give to and receive from the other parents will probably help more than you can imagine.

Amanda said...

I was so gonna write Robeez! Thats all Nathan ever wore until the last few weeks... they DONT come off! And the girl styles are really cute!! You should definately try them.....

Cristi said...

With preemies it is ALWAYS on your mind. (The developmental thing) No matter how you tell yourself you arent going to compare to a full term, you do it anyway. It is normal and natural. Look at that sweet girls smile and tell me your not a good mommy. No way! Be encouraged!

Anonymous said...

She is just the cutest thing EVER and she will progress in her own time.

Kellars Mommy said...

I too want to say try a pair of robeez or the one's from Target, Morning Star I think is the brand, Kellar still wears his ( his toes are going to pop out the end one day, he sleeps in them! ) and loves them, I can't get him to take them off. As for feeling down about your little one being behind, it's normal but it's not your fault and I'd be willing to bet that you are doing more than enough to see to it that Olivia gets all she needs to help her succeed developmentally. She will do it on her own time, this was the hardest thing for me to accept with Kellar, no amount of stress or worry made him do things any faster and I stayed in a tizzy! You're doing a great job, if you need to talk I'm available!