Monday, September 24, 2007

Monday, September 24, 2007 - Evening Update

Ryan and I were talking last night and came to a similar conclusion. We remember hearing stories in the Bible where Jesus performed miracles right in front of others. Those same people who witnessed the miracles still lacked faith. It made you want to say, “How can you not trust God when you’ve seen what he can do?” Now, I find that I’m asking myself that same question. As you know, both of their head sonograms were clear. From what we’ve heard, it is a rarity for a 23 weeker to not have any bleeding in their brain or sign of PVL. For BOTH Logan and Olivia to not have any bleeding or sign of PVL is nothing short of a miracle. Ryan and I were so relieved when we heard the news. Today, however, Logan is struggling quite a bit. Just looking at his swollen body would be enough to make anyone cry. He had an abdomen sonogram done this afternoon to try to figure out what is going on with his kidneys. The results are still inconclusive. It is believed that he may have a yeast plug that is blocking the ureter and preventing the urine from passing through. They have done some cultures and started him on antibiotics. We should know something in a couple of days. There is a slight chance that it could also be a kidney stone. I’m sure there are many more things that it could be. They did rule out an abscess or cyst. Also, his kidneys are still very immature and that could be causing some of the problem as well. For now, they have him on dopamine, but they may have to increase his dosage to get him to release more of that fluid. I’m so worried about my little boy and pray that he gets over this hurdle. At the same time, I ask myself, “How can you not trust God when you’ve seen what he can do?” God is taking care of them and has gotten them through so much in the past 4 weeks. There is nothing that He can’t do.

Olivia seemed to be having a little rougher day today. They did have to turn her vent settings up a little bit today and her oxygen has been a little higher. She does have a pretty bad rash on her bottom that they are treating. She was busy getting her beauty sleep today and didn’t want to be bothered (so, sorry no pictures today of either one of them.) Please continue to keep them in your prayers. Please pray specifically for Logan’s condition to improve. Thank you for witnessing all of these miracles with us.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Shanon Woolley gave me the address for your blog (she's in the NICU with my little one but is from Kansas). It's amazing how many people are going through what we are going through. We had twins, Conner and Braedon, at 23 weeks and 2 days. Braedon was very sick for 2 weeks before he passed away. He is Conner's guardian angel (and ours). Conner had a PDA ligation and they thought he had NEC, but he just had a big plug of poop that was stuck so they had to operate to get it out!
We keep a blog as well (aboutthelarsons.com)and I have had so many of the same feelings that you have had. All the prayers have helped us so much. I will keep your two beautiful little ones in my prayers.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Praise God for His wondrous hand. He still has lots more miracles waiting for you. Mary and Ed

Anonymous said...

With God all things are possible. We give thanks and continue in prayer.

Chris & Jean

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Jodi,
What awesome news about the twins! I'm so happy for the both of you! I'm sure you feel that, that rope you're pulling has loosened up... and I hope it gets easier and easier for the days to come.
'I'm not afraid of the darkness falling, I can hear a voice softly calling. Every single minute, everyday in my life, because I know God is by my side.'
Love you all, and I hope you have a great day!
Shea