Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday, September 23, 2007 - Update

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul ... Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me, your rod and staff comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" - Psalm 23


We were able to talk to Dr Hsiao a little bit about Logan today. His urine output is considerably lower again. They had stopped the dopamine and he was re-started on his feedings today at 1.5cc. The feedings will have to stop if they have to start the dopamine again. It is not good for him to have the dopamine along with his feedings. The doctors do not yet know the cause of his low urine output / edema. The dopamine helps him urinate, but does not tell them why he’s not urinating. His kidneys seem to be working fine when they work. We understand it like this (and we may not be entirely accurate): His kidneys can be compared to a car engine. The engine is fine, but if it’s not given gas. . it won’t work. They are trying to determine what is keeping his kidneys from “getting the gas” that they should be getting. Logan’s oxygen requirement was down to about 40% earlier today which we were very happy about. Again, nobody is sure why it was back up to 80% tonight. Please pray that the doctors will find the answers that they are looking for. Logan continues to need all of our prayers.

It’s amazing the differences between Logan and Olivia. This is a prime example of how you cannot compare any child to another. Logan and Olivia were conceived at the same time, in the same environment and born at the same time and the differences between them are like night and day. Please do not forget that Olivia has had her struggles as well and her little body is still trying to adjust to life outside of the womb. It is by God’s grace that she is doing so well. I’m so proud of both of them and my love for them is immeasurable. Although Logan seems to be struggling a little more right now, please remember that they both need our continuous prayers.

Olivia was started on her caffeine therapy today. Caffeine can stimulate the part of the brain which signals the lungs to inflate. This is just one step closer to getting off the ventilator someday. She is also up to 16cc of milk and is still tolerating it fine. Her oxygen requirements are still low at around 30-40%. We ask that you hold Olivia dear to your heart and continue the prayers.
Please also remember that they have their brain scans this week to test for PVL. This is a VERY important scan and we need to cover them in tons of prayers. I know God is listening and that he continues to take care of my babies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was out of town this weekend -- out of reach of my daily update. This blog is so great -- I'm thankful to be able to get on-line this morning and see the new pictures and read the updates. God bless...you all remain in my prayers. Shelly K.

Anonymous said...

Jodi and Ryan,
What strength you both have. To be in such a depressing, every-moment something is changing place. I just couldn't handle it. I know that you are being watched by the Lord every moment. I love you all.
Stay Strong

Anonymous said...

I love the new format!!!

Anonymous said...

Praise God about the brain scan coming back clean! We are praying without ceasing.
Laura