Sunday, November 4, 2007

Saturday, November 3, 2007 - Update


Well, Olivia has started to develop strong opinions about what she likes and what she doesn’t. We learned that CPAP + skin-to-skin = very angry baby. I don’t think she liked it because she had to lay her head against the tubes on the side of her face. We turned her on her back, swaddled her in a blanket and daddy held her like that. That seemed to be what she wanted. Olivia is getting some force behind those lungs and will cry and cry to voice her displeasure.

It was kind of hard for Ryan to hold her the way that he did because that is how we held Logan the night that he died. It brought back some painful memories. It was even more difficult when she decided to stop breathing and started turning blue. That’ll age you about 20 years. She went from an oxygen saturation of 100 to about 40 in just a few seconds. Nobody should have to see their baby start turning blue. As much as we want her home as soon as possible, we want to make sure that she is ready to come home. We’re stressed when she has an apnea in a hospital. I can’t imagine if that happened at home. We think she just got too comfy again and forgot to breathe. We think that she also had a bad dream while she was sleeping. She’d been out for about 30 minutes and then all of the sudden she let out a cry that only lasted about 2 seconds.

Overall, however, she is doing very good. She is still on a PEEP of 5 and was on room air for much of the day. I’m so proud of her. I was talking to Ryan earlier today about all of the new moms that I see out and about with their newborns. Those people don’t realize that I’m a new mom too. I told Ryan that I also want to show off my new baby. He reminded me that I do get to do that. I just do it in a little different way. . .on this blog. Thank you for allowing me to do so. It helps me more than you know.


When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. Isaiah 43:2

4 comments:

Judith and Jason said...

CPAP and kangaroo was always a hard activity. The tubes get shifted and then the alarms go off:(
Roting for you guys. That's great she is at room air on 5. Terrific.
Judith-mom to Nina 24 weeker now 8 months old

Sarah Furlough said...

My boys never liked kangarooing when they were on CPAP either. Of course, they never liked anything when they were on CPAP! It must be so uncomfortable.

Thinking of you and praying for you all.

Becky said...

Ryan is completely right when he said you show off your baby, too. I look forward everyday for the new update when you get to "show off" what Olivia has done that day. Thanks for sharing those moments. I know what proud parents you are, and I pray for the day that you, too, get to take Olivia out and about and show the rest of the world what we already know: you have a beautiful, precious-and evidently opinionated-daughter!

Shannon said...

I can't wait to see pictures of you out and about with your precious Olivia!!!

I know all too well the feeling of the blue spells. Ashton is 29 months old now and still has some frightening spells where his sats are in the 20s and his heart rate. Somehow though you manage to get through the tough times and keep on going...

Praying for your daughter